Saturday, June 14, 2014

23 Mobile Things 2014 #23 Evaluate

So proud that I finished the 23 Mobile Things program (just under the deadline!) It was time consuming and could have been even more so. I began the program right after purchasing my first tablet, a Kindle Fire HDX, and it really helped me learn how to use it. I'm a lot more comfortable with it now, in spite of rarely using it due to my kids playing games on it all the time. I like the Kindle Fire for the ereader and tablet functionality, and the price, but Amazon limits the apps that can be used. It is an Android, but Amazon prevents Google Play use, which is a shame. If I had to do over, I might have bought an iPad mini instead. This course also gave me practice using the iPad at work.


My favorite Things were #9/#10 photos (I'm a shutterbug), #12 Books (why I went with the Kindle tablet), #19 Hobbies and #20 Games (fun!).


Our library system supported 23 Things training, so I was able to consult with my colleagues who were also working on them. I learned how to make photo collages from Sarah with the iPad during our Flickr program (#9). Christina showed me her blog using Tumblr. I worked on creating a video from photos of our booksale with Deb. It was helpful to be able to reference other people's blogs when I was stuck.


I was amazed at all the useful apps, often for free! It's not just all fun and games. For example, code reader apps and  Duolingo for learning a language. Some of the apps featured in the 23 Things were not applicable to our library, but I am glad to have exposure to them and will use them at home.


Suggestions on what to do differently to improve the 23 Mobile Things are:


1. Don't ignore the Kindle Fire HDX. I know you can't address every kind of device, but I think that is in the top three and is just different enough from Android to require Amazon app examples.
2. Have more coaching. Mine might've been overwhelmed, but I posted a question for him about Thing #6 and have not hear from him ever again. Just that one "Welcome, I'm your coach" message.
3. Put Thing #22 "Discover apps" earlier in the program.


Yes, I would participate in another 23 Things program! Very well done! I did the original one in 2008 but only got 1/3 of the way through due to being busy with my young kids. Now they are busy teens, and it was challenging to find the time to work on them, but I completed it! If there is another program in the future that is different (a lot changed between 2008 and 2014 technologies!) I will participate again.


My feedback for future participants:


Overwhelmed by the sea of apps and don't know where to start? 23 Mobile Things provides structured learning in many facets of mobile devices.


Thank you everyone who made this training possible!

No comments: